Since LNG is stored and transported in highly engineered systems designed to maintain the fuels low temperature, an LNG spill is less likely to occur than a spill of traditional petroleum fuels that are transported at ambient temperatures.
If an LNG spill occurs, LNG will evaporate and disperse to the atmosphere. What is the emergency response procedure for a vehicle accident involving an LNG road transport tank truck/trailer, where LNG is leaking from the tank?In the event of a vehicle accident, local emergency services and emergency response authorities should be notified immediately. However, due to the nature of a cryogenic tank, it is unlikely that a vehicle accident would compromise an LNG storage tank. LNG storage tanks are double-walled, making it more robust against leakage due to a vehicle accident. Please see Greenville LNG Safety Data Sheet for more information on LNG safety.
- Cryogenic burns.
- Do not thaw too rapidly.
- Remove constricting clothing.
- Transport to hospital immediately.
- Do not attempt to re-warm.
- Get medical attention immediately.
- Immediately and briefly flush eyes with warm gentle flowing water.
- Call a physician.
- Move to fresh air.
- Give artificial respiration if breathing has stopped.
- Unlikely route of exposure as this is a gas at normal room temperature and pressure.
- Flammable gas
Suitable Extinguishing Media
- Dry Chemical (Purple-K).
- To suppress or contain, use water fog or high expansion foam.
Unsuitable Extinguishing Media
- Do not use carbon dioxide or low expansion foams.
- High expansion foam may be used to help control the vaporization rate.
- Cold vapor is heavier than air and will not readily disperse until warmed up.
- Do not direct water spray directly at LNG pool; this will only increase rate of vaporization.
Products of Combustion
- Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide
Protection of Firefighters
- Very flammable after vaporization to gaseous phase.
- Use Combustible Gas Indicator to determine the extent of vapor cloud.
- Firefighters should wear self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) in case of oxygen deficient atmosphere.
Sensitivity to Static Discharge
- Ignitable by static